CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sugar, Sugar, Sugar

Well, I passed my 1-hour glucose screening test. (Much to my surprise). I had to drink that wonderful "fruit punch" flavored junk in just 5 minutes and then wait an hour without anything to eat or drink. I thought I was going to die, ha. Even though the papers said "DO NOT eat or drink anything until your appointment with the doctor", I had to do something to get the nasty taste out of my mouth. I followed the wonderful drink with 2 whole goldfish and a sip of water. Didn't figure that could do much harm - luckily it didn't.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love chocolate. I had been trying to watch my sugar intake for the several days before my test, so after leaving the doctor's office I felt like celebrating. I drove through Pal's and got a yummy, delicious, vanilla milkshake. And boy was it good! Unfortunately, Ben didn't know and so that evening when he asked if I wanted to get an ice cream, I couldn't turn him down. So I had a Reese Cup blast from Sonic. Mmmm!!!!

So I may have passed the glucose test, but now our little man was probably in a diabetic coma of his own. Within about 8 hours "we" had consumed 8 oz of pure fruit punch flavored sugar, a Pal's milkshake, and a Sonic blast.

A "normal" sugar level is 70-140. My count was 131, which I consider more on the high end. Luckily, the doctor doesn't. But, I am still trying to keep an eye on my sugar intake for now.

My sympathies go out to anyone that ever has to drink that stuff... especially more than 8 oz. My suggestion: "chug" it as fast as you can so that you don't taste it. I got mine down in 2 gulps.

0 comments: