CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 16, 2009

Breastfeeding Update

Well, the lactation consultant didn't quite agree with my desire to start supplementing with formula today. :( Because of Aidyn's excellent growth and progress, she really wants me to stick with it as long as possible. When I explained to her about my reasoning of wanting to be able to go places, she understood but said I would still need to pump to keep up my milk supply.

She did however agree to atleast one bottle of formula a day. At our 2wk appointment she said I could stop pumping at 3am (the middle of night feeding) since I was gettting so much extra at all my other pumping times. At that time, I was probably pumping 2-4 EXTRA ounces of milk at EACH pumping. The milk we were able to start storing was amazing! So, do to his extra amount, I was thrilled to know I could quit that 3am feeding. This meant that I could get up to feed and change Aidyn and go right back to feed. What a relief!

Unfortunately, after about a week or 2 of doing that, my body must have realized I didn't need that extra milk and slowed down the production. :( Now when I pump, I MIGHT get 1-2 ounces extra per pumping...if that. With Aidyn eating 5 ounces at each feeding, I am having to save all the extra I can during the day just for that one feeding. It's exhausting and worries me when there isn't any extra in the fridge. A few times last week I didn't even get enough for a complete bottle and had to actually thaw out some of the milk in our freezer from those earlier weeks.

After talking to Gloria (the lactation consultant) about the amount Aidyn is eating, I'm pumping, and my "shortage"...she said I do definately need to supplement with one bottle of formula. She said my body is producing the equivalent of a mother with a 4 month old and is probably "maxed out". She said by lengthening the pumping time, or trying to "squeeze in" an extra pumping would totally exhaust me and is not necessary.

So, hopefully by using formula for his one morning bottle, we will be able to save up what little bit extra I do have. This will help for times when we are out and need a bottle that I am unable to pump for. But as for supplementing with more and only doing a few breastmilk bottles a day, like I had wanted, we will be waiting a while for that. :(

1 comments:

Meg said...

This is what I started to do and completely lost my milk. I hope that doesn't happen for you but if it does, it's ok. I felt like a failure at first when we switched Dom to complete formula feedings, but he's thriving and I feel SO relieved that I'm not pumping and he's still doing so well. Whatever happens will happen, and Aidyn will be great either way. Good luck!