CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 30, 2009

School, Work, & Schedules

Last summer, before I knew I was pregnant, I had began filling out my application to begin working on my Masters degree. I graduated from college with an Elementary Teaching degree in December 2005 and began teaching in February 2006. I was VERY lucky!

As a sophomore in high school, I enrolled in a Child Care class that discussed raising children but also working in child care facilities. My high school had a day care for teachers and school staff that accomidated about 6-8 infants in the "nursery" and probably 15-20 toddlers in the 2-4 yr old class. This gave us lots of experience and because of this class I was given a job opportunity at a local elementary school that September (1998).

Everyday after school I would ride with a friend, because I wasn't even driving yet, to work in the afterschool program at that school. I worked in the K-1 group and she worked with the 2-5 group. I, along with another adult, was responsible for 15-20 K-1 students from 3:00-6:00pm. We had snack, story time, free time, and sometime crafts each day. I loved it!

Throughout my high school "career", college, and student teaching, I remained at this same school. I also substituted at this school on days when I didn't have class while in college. When I graduated, a teacher left on maternity leave and I was able to step into her interim position. It worked out beautifully! I have no been at that same school for 11 yrs this coming September. It doesn't seem possible!

But anyways...I have always taught reading and language arts. This year I also picked up Science & Social Studies due to a "different" schedule. I have always wanted to get my Master's Degree in Reading and last year seemed like the perfect time...until I learned that I was pregnant. Being so anal and OCD like I am, I knew I would be too stressed in trying to get my class ready before leaving in December as well as preparing my room and students for an interim. I postponed my Masters, but have decided that now I'm ready again.

I have submitted my application in hopes of beginning classes with the first summer session in May. If all works out, I should be able to complete 9 hours this summer and 6 in the fall. I figure going back to school in August (with a new baby) will be crazy...but he'll be 6 months old and Ben, my husband, will be home to help. I'm only planning on taking 6 hours in the fall which will be an internet class and then an "elective". I think this will be do-able. PLUS...with the entire program being 36 hours, that will get 15 hours completed. Sounds good to me!

I had already planned on beginning to wean Aidyn from breastmilk and switch to formula gradually by summer, so I figure I'll just begin that process a little sooner. After talking with Ben, we've decided that feeding Aidyn his first morning bottle at 5:30am will work best for us when school starts back in August. For those of you that don't know, we are both school teachers. He teaches high school algebra at the local high school (where he attended) about 2 minutes from our house. I teach 4th grade at one of the elementary schools in the system I attended growing up, about 25 minutes from our house. So...5:30 is what we've decided.

Because of that "scheduling" and my master's beginning in just 7 short weeks, I've decided to start working on this schedule now. Some people don't believe in schedules, and I totally see their point. When Aidyn wakes up or becomes hungry before "time", if I can't get him comfortable, I feed him anyways. So...we'll see how this goes - but we're gonna give a good try. :) I am hoping by August we'll have some sort of schedule set up and a good routine established. I'll keep you updated on how its going. Wish us luck! :)

0 comments: