CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tummy Time

Aidyn has been working on his "tummy time". In the beginning he would fuss and so our tummy time would only last for about 5-10 minutes. Because the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends putting babies on their backs to sleep, they don't have time spent on their stomachs. Tummy time is supposed to help babies began practicing to hold their head up and to support themselves with their arms.

A friend of mine who is a pediatric nurse suggested putting Aidyn on his tummy for a nap. She suggested this because I can't get Aidyn to nap during the day because he startles himself and wakes up. By sleeping on their stomachs, babies don't startle as bad and are able to sleep better. Aidyn actually falls asleep every time I lay him across my lap to burp him.

So, this afternoon for his nap I layed him on his tummy (on a blanket on the floor). Please know that I did not leave him there. I had warmed up my lunch and sat down beside him while I ate. In all reality, it was no different than "tummy time" except that I was hoping he would go to sleep. Well, he didn't. :) Although he did lay and rest very well without fussing like he normally does when put down for a nap on his back. We'll try again tomorrow...

0 comments: