CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Prenatal Class #1

Well, we survived our first prenatal (birth, parenting, etc.) class this week. I started not to attend any classes since I've been reading a lot and have heard from people how they can be stupid and a waste of time. But you know me, I was afraid I might miss something I need to know. Like, how soon can I get an epidural, and how long does it last? Ha.

Aidyn will be born at the Johnson City Medical Center. The only class they offer is called a "Marathon Class" and it's on Saturdays from 9-4:30pm. Ben and I weren't either one excited about that. So I called the Specialty Hospital. They offer a 4wk class (every Tuesday evening during the month) from 7-9pm. That didn't excite us either. ALL DAY Saturday or LATE AT NIGHT for 4 Tuesdays. ???

We decided to go with the Specialty Hospital - 4 nights for 2 hours. So, Tuesday night Ben, my mom, and I met at the Specialty Hospital. My mom went because Ben had a basketball game and wasn't going to be able to stay the entire time.

They showed like a 30 min video, had a bathroom break, asked for questions regarding the video, and went through check in procedures at Specialty. We were done by 8pm. The worst part was when they showed the placenta being delivered... ugh! The most informative part, I thought, was the check in and nursery procedures. (Too bad we'll be at JCMC). After learning so much about the "other" hospital, where we won't be, Ben and I decided we maybe should "drop-out", ha, and attend a marathon class at JCMC.

I called JCMC and the only marathon class available is in 2 days. Ben has his E.D.s class Saturday from 8-3pm and then we have a wedding that afternoon. Oh well, so much for that idea. Looks like we'll be attending the classes at Specialty and I'm planning on calling JCMC to set up an appointment to meet with someone and just take a tour of the birthing suites on our own. That may work on better anyways.

0 comments: