CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 23, 2009

39 Week Appointment - INDUCTION!

Today Ben and I went for our 39wk appointment. In trying to "prepare" for better news today, since I've been 1cm since Jan 2nd, I've been doing some things to help - or I've been told they help: taking Evening Primrose Oil vitamins, doing squats, and eating grapes. Ben and I also went for a 30min walk around our neighborhood yesterday (which resulted in me exhausted and terrible back pain and cramps lastnight).

I haven't really been having any contractions, that I know of, except for a few the past couple of days...maybe like 3 or 4. Some people I talk to have said, "Oh you'll definately know when those contractions start" and yet others have said, "I was having contractions and didn't even know it." So who do I listen to? HaHa Due to this wonderful advice, ha, I THINK I've had maybe a few the past couple of days, but nothing regular or too intense. What I've experienced is tightening in my lower abdomen with some back pain also - for maybe 15 seconds, not long. A few times I've also felt pressure like I need to use the bathroom, but again, no intense pain and nothing unbearable.

During the day I'm usually fine. The evenings and late nights are when I get extremely uncomfortable to have these pains. Its hard to go to sleep at night, but once I'm finally able to fall asleep, I always take up feeling fine...unfortunately. :)

The group of doctors I see are all very good, but Ben and I have two that we prefer over the third. Last week and this week I got to see the same dr. She examined me and said, "You're a good 1cm..." and I interrupted her by saying, "Oh, please don't tell me that!" When she asked why I explained that I've been 1cm since Jan 2nd. She continued with - "No, but you're a really good 1cm with your cervix 50% thinned out and ready, and the baby's head is getting lower, at about a -2 right now. That's great!" I sure hope she's right. I began to think that I'd be 1cm forever until she asked, "So, what would you like to do?"

This confused me for a minute. What did she mean? Finally she said, do you want to talk induce or would you like to wait and come back regular time next week? I was blown away by this option and think maybe Ben was too. Blown away, but definately excited about the possibility! I had planned on asking about induction again this wk, but was completely shocked when she did. I think I was at a loss for words, ha. I looked at Ben and looked at the dr and said, "Well, I think it sounds wonderful! I really don't want to go past next Friday (our due date)."

She informed us that everything looked great and she would be totally comfortable doing an induction if that's what I wanted, but if we wanted to just wait and come back for another appointment next week, that'd be great too. My friend's daughter had this same dr for her delivery in November and was very happy and impressed with her. The dr is only on call all day Monday, Jan. 26th and then not again until the next week except for two half days - and most inductions are longer than just a few hours. After talking about pros/cons and asking different questions as well as her opinion, Ben and I decided to go ahead and plan on Monday.

I considered waiting and see if we could schedule another check up for Mon or Tues and then discuss induction then...but I kept thinking, "What is 2 more days?" and I couldn't keep thinking about how uncomfortable I have been the past few nights. Induction began sounding better. The dr went to check if there was space available (a room and scheduling I assume) to set my induction for Monday. While she was out Ben and I decided that if she couldn't Monday we would ask about coming in for another exam early next wk and then see about her availability, or the other dr we prefer. She came back and said everything looked good and was ready to go - so we were excited!

We have to be at the JCMC hospital ER Monday morning at 6am. You have to use the ER entrance since they are doing construction at the women's center. They will send me down to the women's hospital to start an IV and pitocin (for contractions). The dr said she'll be down to check on me between 8-9am and break my water if that hasn't happened on its own. She said I am not to eat or drink anything (even water) after midnight on Sunday...anesthesiologist's (sp?) rule. I can have an epidural anytime I wish, just not after I've dilated to 8cm.

So...looks like we've got 2 more days of what we know as "normal" before everything takes a huge (and much welcomed!) change in our lives! Here we go...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such an exciting time. I am sure everything will go fine. Cann't wait to meet the little guy!