CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Close Call

This past weekend was Apple Festival in the town where we live. Since there are thousands of people that come in from out of town, the local schools always close on Friday. This year, they also decided to shut-down on Wednesday and Thursday for a shortened Fall Break. This meant that Ben was out of school the end of last week.

Now, we (teachers) aren't supposed to have our phones out during the day while we're teaching at school. However, I just happened to have mine on my front table last Thursday morning when I recieved a text from Ben that said, "Did you get my message?"


Ben NEVER texts me at work so I knew it must be important. I looked back and he had sent another text message earlier that said, "My son just catapulted himself off the changing table!"

I almost died! We texted back and forth for a while...and I ended up explaining to my students why I had my phone out. They almost died as well, haha, and they're 8 years old! Apparently, Ben was changing Aidyn's diaper when he decided to turn around and get socks out of his sock drawer (about 3 steps away). While "away", Aidyn managed to turn sideways and push off the wall with his feet, causing himself to do a backflip off the changing table and land on the floor.

Ahhhhhhh! What?!?!?!?!

Ben reassured me that he was ok, had a very small knot on his forehead, but was at the babysitter's now. He had eaten and played "normally" all morning. After texting back and forth with both Ben and Kelly all day long, I felt ok about him being alright.

Well...

...until I actually talked to Ben on my way to class and listened to him describe, in detail, what actually happened. By then, I was like 10 min from my class but so sick I thought I was going to throw up. So, I called the dr. They wanted to see Aidyn "right away" to check for bruising, x-ray for internal bleeding, and more. Talking about freak'n somebody out!

I practically did a u-turn in the road, called a friend from class to explain why I wouldn't be there, and headed to my parents' house to pick up Aidyn. When I called my dad to tell him I was on the way, he also said that Aidyn was fine. Once I got there...I was able to tell the same thing. But, since I'd already called the dr, I went ahead and took him.


While at Mom and Dad's (and the dr office), he was climbing all over the place, playing, and laughing. Here are a few pics I took while we were waiting for the dr to arrive. We were given the first "walk in" appointment at 5pm. However, the dr was finishing up her rounds at the hospital so we still had to wait.

He looks real hurt and upset doesn't he?


Dr. Farmer poked, pushed, and pulled on him and said he looks fine. No fever, bumps, or bruises and he was eating and playing all day like his normal self. She assured us that it wouldn't be the last time he fell or got hurt. I'm just glad everything was ok...and Ben especially is. :)

0 comments: