CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Finally...

Ben and I have been on "the hunt" for a babysitter for Aidyn after our original 2 offers fell through at the end of the school year. We know 2 women that keep children in their home, but currently don't have any spots available. We have added Aidyn to the waiting list for both of them. They are great and several of our friends send their kids there as well.


I also have Aidyn on the waiting list for The Early Learning Center. It is VERY HIGHLY recommended by many, many people. It is located in one of the larger churches in Johnson City, about 5-10 minutes max from where I work. Unfortunately, the waiting list is a year long. Ahh!!! Most people put their child on the waiting list when they find out they're pregnant.


We went to visit Princeton Prep last week and put Aidyn on the waiting list there. We weren't totally impressed with the facility, but they did have an overall rating of 3 stars (the highest a center can get) and would be able to take Aidyn in August/September.

Being so, I decided last weekend that I was going to sit down on Monday and just go through the phone book and call every childcare center that said Johnson City or Erwin. I did...and here's my list...also, some places said to come by and tour at any time, while others asked that we make an appointment to come by. I do not like places that ask for an appointment and say that any time is not good. That makes you think, "What are they hiding?"

1. Babyzone
Director was out and whoever answered the phone couldn't give me any answers and said to call back. I never did.

2. Central (No answer)

3. Cherokee Christian Church
Talked with the assistant director who was VERY informative. They do have an opening for Aidyn in the 6month class (which he'll be when he starts). Registration is $50 and then $135 per week. They are open 6:30am-6:00pm. They had an open-door policy and said just to stop by whenever.

4. Kidzclub (No answer)

5. Mother Goose
Talked with the director, some-what informative. They do not hav an opening, but have a waiting list. There is no registration fee. Instead you pay a week's tuition of $146 and that will hold your child's spot and be the first week's pay when you begin. Open-door policy and also said to just stop by when convenient for us.

6. Mnt.View Baptist
Talked with director, some-what informative. They do have an opening for Aidyn's class but like you to register and pay 6 weeks in advance, which would be now. There is a $35 registration fee and then $166 per week. This lady "claimed" that her assistant director was out for surgery and that we had to make an appointment to make sure would be there. Even if that was true, I wasn't fond of the way she insisted an appt was necessary.

7. Parkway
This place was a HUGE no! They do not have any openings right now and then when I asked if there was an application process or waiting list the lady said, "What-dya mean?"

8. Pinecrest (Number disconnected)

9. Playhouse (No answer)

10. Small Steps
Talked to the director, some-what informative. There are no openings right now, but there is a waiting list. There is a $25 registration fee and then $135 per week. Open-door policy.

11. Sundale
Talked to someone, not sure who. No openings until January. There is a waiting list if we would like to "enroll" Aidyn and pay the first week's tuition (for Jan) to hold his spot...$135. Open-door policy.

12. Tiny Town
Not sure who I talked to here. They do not have any openings, but they do have a waiting list. There is a $20 registration fee and then $140 per week. I don't remember if they said I had to make an appt or not.

13. The Learning Center
I THINK I talked to the director, not really sure. It was extremely loud in the background and very hard to hear. The lady said there were openings. They have a $10 registration fee and then $152 per week. This lady told me A LOT of information, not all of which seemed necessary. I guess it was just my "instinct" that said no, not sure.

14. Tri-Cities Christian
This learning center does not take students until they are 15months old.

After posting on Facebook that I would be visiting Cherokee Christian, Mnt.View Baptist, and meeting with Ashley...I had several people comment about how GREAT Cherokee Christian was. This made me excited.


On Tuesday, I met with Ashley. She was referred to me through a mutual friend. Ashley has an 8 month old son, Rider. She is hoping to be a stay at home mom and keep another baby, or two, in order to earn some extra income since she won't be working. I LOVED Ashley, her home (or what I saw of it in the 45 min. I was there), and her son. I think she would be wonderful! However...it seems like there's always a "but" or "however"...she already knows of 2 weeks she'll be out of town. And, should she or her son ever be sick and unable to keep Aidyn for the day, Ben and I do NOT have a back-up person that could keep him. This would not be a good situation to put ourselves in.

Ben and I are both teachers (and so is his mom). Teaching isn't like some jobs where you can call in and just "catch up" on work tomorrow. My parents (and Ben's dad) also don't have jobs that you can just call in to...so, not having a back-up person or plan would be VERY hard and worrisome. So, as much as I really wanted to find someone to keep Aidyn (which I did), not having someone else to fall back on really made it hard.

Aidyn and I met Ben at the Mall to eat lunch and we headed to Cherokee Christian Learning Center back towards our house. After the good information on the phone, great reviews from other people we know, good price, and proximity to our house/work...we decided that if we like the place, we would go ahead and pay the registration and enroll Aidyn.

Needless to say, we were impressed. Unlike Princeton Prep. CCLC first off had a lock on the door. You could not get in without ringing a doorbell and being buzzed in. Next, there were 3 people at the desk. Not 1 that ended up leaving while we were standing there allowing parents (or anybody) to come in and out of the center. After talking with the director and assistant director, we realized I used to work with the director's wife. This made me feel great about the place already. Not to mention a friend from work attends this church, and another friend's grandchildren attend.

We found out that instead of 1 class for 8 children ages 6wks-12months, this place has 2 classes. The 1st class is for 8 children ages 6wks-6months, and the 2nd class is for 8 children 6months-12months. I like this much better. Instead of such a large variety of ages and needs, Aidyn will be with other children closer to his age and ability level.

The first place we visited had a bouncy seat, swing, walker, exersaucer (sp?), and jumping seat. As much as I LOVE these things and use them all the time at home, I do know that it's TN State Standards that these things not be present. The idea is that they want the children to have attention and be played with and "taught". Part of me agrees with this, but at the same time...what do you do if you don't have those items?

CCLC had a few of these things in the Infant I class, but not the Infant II class that Aidyn will be in. Since most babies are sitting up and beginning to try crawling, his class only had 1 walker.

All in all, Ben and I felt very good about CCLC. I felt like they were in compliance with state standards, expectations, and our expectations as well. I also felt MUCH more safe with the facility than the other.

So, as sad as I am that we are going to be unable to use Ashley, I feel comfortable and happy with the decision we made. I start inservice trainings the last week of July (I think). The students start back on August 6th. Hopefully this will give us some time to "transition" Aidyn into daycare. I'll let you know how it goes.

*I've been working on this post for 3 days, so hopefully it makes sense and I didn't leave anything out.

0 comments: