CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Got One!

After setting our live trap out for 4 days, I finally caught a baby opossum. I guess it wasn't big on fresh food, so instead it ate the old, shriveled up onion, lettuce, orange, and carrots.

That night, Ben put the trap in the back of his dad's truck and I followed him out to an older road next to the river where he released the opossum. At first it would NOT come out of the cage. Aidyn was in the backseat asleep and it took all I had not to burst out laughing! Ben tried everything you could think of, including tipping the cage up on its end so that the opossum would just fall out. But nope! Ofcourse it hung on to the cage with it's "fingers and toes" so it wouldn't fall. Here is a picture of it asleep at the house earlier in the afternoon.

Finally, I dimmed the lights on my car and it took off out of the cage. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard (quietly) in my life!

That night I put a plate of leftovers in the cage...hamburger, cheese fries, and orange pieces. We were hoping to catch the bigger opossum that Ben originally saw, or our groundhog. Which, by the way, I haven't seen in over a week. I can't decide if our neighbors have caught or killed it, or if it just moved, ha.


The next morning, ALL of the hamburger and fries were gone. My friend, Brenda, and I decided that whatever it was must not be a healthy eater since it left the orange. ;) No animal though! Lastnight, I refilled the plate and put the trap back outside, AGAIN, in the same spot.

This morning there was no animal, and all the food. :( I guess we'll try AGAIN tonight.

0 comments: