CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sippy Cup Fun

In the book I've read, been reading, and constantly refer back to...Babywise...the authors mention that it's a good idea to start introducing a sippy cup around 6 months. Just like parents that struggle with their children that don't like transitioning from breastmilk to a bottle, the transition can be just as hard for children to start using the sippy cup. Well, so I've heard, haha.

The book suggests several ways to "start" the sippy cup such as placing a little formula in there, placing a little water with just a tiny bit of juice (for some inticing flavor), and a few others. The authors also go on about what a mess it can be in the beginning, just like when starting solids and spoon feeding. One of their suggestions was to start with the sippy cup during bath time.

Wow! I thought that was a GREAT idea! Then, if it does make a mess or leak everywhere, what does it matter? So that's what we did! I bought Aidyn a small 7oz Nubby sippy cup at the store the other day. The spout is made out of the same materials as a bottle nipple. Although it's shaped differently, the child still has to suck to get the liquid out.

Aidyn did suprisingly well, or atleast to us, for his first time. He managed to get the spout in his mouth the very first time. He would try to drink it just like he would a bottle, and then he'd chew on it a while. I let him "play" with his cup for about 5-10 minutes before putting it away and moving on with his bath.



I didn't want to put yummy juice in the cup since he would be eating his bedtime bottle afterwards. I also didn't want to put formula in the cup, because I if it did leak out (which was inevidable) I didn't want him sitting in a milk cloud for a bath. So...I just added about 4 oz of barely cool water. This way it didn't matter if it spilled or not.


You know me, I just HAD to get a video! I actually did two quick ones. The first is my favorite of him drinking, but since he's in the bathtub...some things are exposed that I probably shouldn't share with the world, haha. I know he'd thank me for that if he could. ;) So, I hope the second video is enough of a "glimpse" of how he did. He's mostly chewing on it during this one. Oh well.



It won't be long before he's holding his own bottle and maybe even using a sippy cup. There's no rush or need for the sippy cup now...but I'd like to have the skill down by the time basketball season rolls around so we can take it to the games with us. He'll be 10 months when the season starts, but 13 months when it's over (maybe 14mo if we're lucky!) :)


0 comments: