CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bird Attacks!

I've decided we've got an infestation of birds (barn swallows is what I call them) outside between our house and our neighbors. Since buying our house in October 2006, we have yet to cap the chimney. Hence our "bird" problems we've had at least once a year since.

This winter, Ben pushed a huge piece of insulation up in our fireplace/chimney. Obviously we don't use it. We have gas logs but they are in the basement and haven't been installed yet. So, anyways, the other night we were watching TV and I told Ben I could hear birds in the chimney. He muted the TV and sure enough they were loud and clear. He ran outside and got a piece of plywood we had on the side porch to cover the fireplace. We pushed one of our couch ottaman's up against it to hold the board in place.


2-3 days passed and we didn't hear the birds anymore. So as we were watching TV, again, Ben pulled the ottoman over to the couch so he could prop up his feet. We left the board where it was...bad idea. As I was sitting there feeding Aidyn, the board fell over before we could catch it. Scared the crap out of Aidyn and he screamed for about 5 minutes until I got him calmed down. Ben just pushed the board to the side.

THEN....came the fun part. At midnight I heard Aidyn fussing. As I got up to go check on him I heard a bird flying around downstairs. I went closer to the stairs to see if I could hear any better and about the time I did...SMACK - right into the window it flew! I "quietly" ran into our room to wake up Ben.

Needless to say we spent the next 20-30 minutes trying to "catch" and chase two birds outside. Ugh! Here is our fireplace, once again...with a board infront.

Lastnight we thought we heard ANOTHER bird (or birds) in the fireplace. After waiting a while, we didn't hear them anymore so I hope we were wrong. We've GOT to get our chimney capped!

0 comments: