CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 15, 2009

Constipated?

My poor Aidyn had not had a regular BM since last Saturday! On formula, he usually has one every other day. He was "due" for one on Monday, but nothing. Tuesday...just a very little bit. Wednesday, nothing. Thursday, nothing. He has been more cranky than usual and continues grunting and straining. By Thurday afternoon I had had enough. I felt really bad for him. So... once I again I called the dr's office.

They first asked if I had tried juice. Ofcourse I hadn't because I didn't know what kind or if Aidyn was old enough. I know some peds suggest starting solids and juice around 4 months, but just didn't want to try it without asking. The nurse recommended infant apple-prune juice. She said to mix 1 oz of juice with 2 oz of water...a total of 3 oz. Then, we have to give 1 oz 3 times a day. Morning, afternoon, evening. Oh yeah - and it has to be warm, not cold.

Next she asked if I had tried "rectal stimulation". Huh?!?! I love my son more than anything, but I wasn't about to stick my finger in his butt. Luckily, that wasn't what she wanted. Instead (even though it wasn't much better), she suggested putting vaseline on a q-tip and VERY VERY slowly and VERY VERY easily, turn and push the tip into his rectum like taking a temperature.

We tried that when Ben got home from school yesterday...no results. I was leaving for a house warming shower, and Ben was going to football pracice. Since we have breastmilk stored in my mother-in-law's freezer, we asked her to give Aidyn that for his next 2 bottles. That tends to "clean him out". And before I came home, I stopped by the store to get juice.

We had no results with the breastmilk (yet) and so we went ahead and did 1 oz of the juice mixture before going to bed. Do you have any idea how hard it is to store 1 oz of juice? I mixed the juice/water, fed Aidyn 1 oz, and then divided the last 2 oz into separate small jars and placed in the fridge.

As of this morning, still nothing. Ben was out of school today and I was heading to visit my kids for Field Day...so once again his mom was keeping Aidyn. Before she picked him up, we did the q-tip one more and 1 oz of juice. Luckily, when I went to pick Aidyn up from her house at 4pm, he had used the bathroom. I was sooooo proud! :)

Ben's mom said that Aidyn definately had a "pellet" at first (which is the sign of constipation) but then the rest was normal. Whew! I am so glad. The poor guy has been struggling all week long!

I'm so glad he's feeling better!

0 comments: