CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More Babies?!?!

Furry babies that is...

This past fall, Ben and I noticed a groundhog had "moved in" to the weeds and brush growing in our backyard on a bank of grass. One day I came home to see the groundhog in the backyard and was shocked. I called Ben and told him that either the groundhog was a mommy and pregnant, or a new bigger groundhog (assuming a guy) had moved in.

Well, I don't know that the "daddy" has hung around...but we definately have babies. I have seen the mommy groundhog once and the baby several times. Last week, I looked out the back window and saw 2 - yes, two - babies! Ahhh.

But, guess what?!?! I looked into the backyard yesterday and saw 3 baby groundhogs!!!! We have a live trap that we originally planned on using to try and catch the the ONE we saw. Now, there's no way we can put that trap out with a mom and 3 babies! It's funny how I didn't care much about catching the ONE and getting rid of her. But now that I know babies are involved, 3 at that, there's no way I'd set that trap up.

I've been trying to get pictures from our back door (through the window) for a while. If I open the back door, they run home. Here was the best I could do.

The first pictures shows one of the babies standing on some steps in our backyard. It is standing up looking around...how cute!



This second pictures actually has all 3 babies in it. You can also see our neighbor's garden behind us. I keep meaning to research groundhogs because apparently they only eat grass and clover. I have watched them several times walk through the garden, but they never stop to "snack". They are always eating grass. I guess that's why our neighbors haven't tried catching or killing them either.


If you click on the pictures, they will get larger and you will be able to see the babies more clearly.

0 comments: